Warning: The IRS has issued an alert to warn of a new email phishing scheme involving W-2 information. The sender is posing as a top-level administrator, such as the CEO or HR Director, and requesting that you update your W-2 information or send them your W-2(s). Please ensure that if your employees receive a suspicious email, they do not respond or interact with any included links or attachments, but rather report it to you directly.
Here are some additional tips to help you and your employees stay secure:
• Keep your username and password confidential
• Use a different password for each system
• Always confirm you have logged out after using a website
• Be mindful on shared computers
• Install anti-virus software and keep it updated
• Be vigilant in regards to emails requesting sensitive information
Last but not least, ask a professional if something doesn’t look right.